Sticky Toffee Pudding with Pears and Pecans
This sweet and indulgent dessert includes fresh pears, cinnamon and rich pecan nuts all cooked in a sticky caramel sauce
- 50 g/2oz butter
- 50 g/2oz caster sugar
- 8 pears
- 150 g/5oz butter – softened
- 150 g/5oz caster sugar
- 3 small eggs – lightly beaten
- 175 g/6oz self-raising flour – sieved
- 50 gms 2oz ground almonds
- Zest of 2 lemons
- ½ tsp vanilla essence
- 100 gms 4oz cranberries
- 50 gms 2oz pecan nuts
- Preheat the oven to 190°C. Make the caramel by heating together the butter and sugar in a saucepan until almost toffee like. Pour into the base of a non stick cast iron pan, approx. 18-20cm/7-8ins in diameter. Carefully place the pears, cranberries & pecans on top of the toffee.
- In a bowl cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Stirring all the time, add the eggs and flour alternately. Stir in the lemon zest and vanilla essence. If the mixture seems too heavy add a little milk. Spoon this mixture over the fruit, smooth and bake for 20-25 minutes until risen, golden and firm to the touch.
- Allow to cool for 5 minutes before turning out on to a flat plate.
- Serve with ice cream.