Firecracking Sausage and Onion Casserole
This is an ideal supper or party dish that is a little bit different. The crispy apple slices, golden onions and bitter-sweet sauce are a real treat.
- 25 g/1oz butter
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic
- 2 red onions cut into wedges
- 1 onion – cut into wedges
- 1 inch ginger – finely chopped
- 900 g/2lb sausages
- 4 red apples-sliced
- 4 green apples sliced
- 1 tbsp soft brown sugar
- 310 ml/1fl oz unsweetened apple juice
- 1 dsp chilli sauce
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 400 g/14oz tin cannellini beans – optional
- Melt the butter in a large casserole dish, add the oil. Heat through. Add the garlic onions and ginger. Cook until Crispy.
- Fry the sausages until they are golden and crisp using just a hint of oil. Add the apple slices and let them cook in the juice of the sausages until they too become golden and crispy. Sprinkle the sugar over the apples and sausages and cook for a further minute.
- Place the sausages and apples in the casserole dish, pour in the apple juice and chilli sauce and mix well.
- Season with salt and pepper and, if adding beans do so at this stage.
- Place in the oven @ 200°C/gas mark 6 for 35-40 minutes.
- Serve hot with rice, pasta or potatoes.