Beef Cooked the Italian Way
Beef cooked the Italian way is rich and tasty and made with garlic, herbs and red wine. This dish works best when the meat is allowed to soak in the marinade for as long as possible – up to 24 hours.
- 900 g/2lbs chump steak
- 2 cloves of garlic – chopped
- 4 dsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 dsp honey
- 1 dsp olive oil
- 225 g/8oz cherry tomatoes
- 110 g/4oz black olives – stoned
- 150 mls/¼pt passata
- 150 mls/¼pt red wine
- Handful of basil or flat leaf parsley – chopped
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Cut the meat into strips and leave to marinate in the garlic, vinegar and honey for at least 30 minutes.
- Drain the meat from the marinade and add to the hot oil in the pan. Cook over a high heat for 10-15 minutes until the meat becomes crispy and is almost cooked. Pour over the remainder of the marinade.
- Add the tomatoes, black olives, passata and red wine to the pan. Simmer gently for 4-5 minutes until the sauce thickens. If you prefer more sauce add a little more passata and red wine.
- Finally, add the basil. Heat through, season and serve. I like this dish served with crusty bread or with a mixture of oven roasted vegetables such as aubergines, peppers and courgettes.