Middle Eastern Saffron Chicken
This chicken dish is low in fat and very tasty. It is flavoured with spices and with the fresh, sweet flavour of tomatoes. The slightly bitter taste of saffron helps to balance the dish and also gives it its intense colour.
- 4 cloves garlic – crushed
- 2 tsp cinnamon powder
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- juice of 1 lemon
- 6 chicken fillets – skinned
- 1 onion – coarsely sliced
- 700 g/1½lb tomatoes – coarsely chopped
- 570 ml/1pt light vegetable stock
- 1 tsp saffron threads
- 4 dsp hot water
- 2 tbsp honey
- Flat-leaf parsley – roughly chopped
- Mix the garlic, cinnamon and ginger with the lemon juice and use the mixture to coat the chicken fillets. Cover well and leave to marinate for at least 30 minutes.
- Heat a non-stick pan until hot, then add the chicken fillets and cook on both sides for a total of approximately 4-5 minutes until the chicken just begins to colour.
- Add the onion, tomatoes and stock and simmer gently for 25-30 minutes until the chicken is tender and the onions have reduced down. Now, add the saffron and its liquid – the saffron threads should be placed in a small bowl with the hot water and left to sit for 10 minutes before using.
- Give the chicken a good stir and add the honey. If the sauce is too thick, add a little more stock until it reaches the consistency you desire. Garnish with flat-leaf parsley and serve immediately with couscous or rice.