This is a great one-pot meal, salad starter, main course, supper dish. Totally versatile for any occasion with its flavour, colour and freshness. Serve hot or cold and use Turkey pieces for a Festive twist. Ingredients
- 4-6 chicken pieces and 1 tsp dark brown sugar
- 2 red onion – cut into wedges
- 2 dsp olive oil
- 1 dsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 dsp honey
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 stalks celery
- 1 pomegranate – optional when in season
- ¼ pt/125ml stock – vegetable
- 110 g/4oz spinach
- Freshly ground black pepper and fresh coriander to serve
- 2 Dsp. Tomato paste
- Oven temperature 180°C
- Prepare all the vegetables – cut onion into thick wedges. Cut the celery into large chunks, de-seed the pomegranate.
- Toss the chicken pieces in the oil, honey, brown sugar and balsamic and coat well.
- Transfer to a warmed oven roasting dish to which the onions and garlic have been added and cooking in the oven for 5 minutes with 1 dsp olive oil.
- Add the chicken pieces and marinade and toss well to coat before returning to the oven, covered, for 25-35 minutes depending upon the size of the chicken pieces.
- Next add the celery, tomato paste, stock and return to the oven with seasoning and a handful of coriander leaves. Cook for 25-30 minutes then add the pomegranate seeds, adjust seasoning and finally a handful of fresh spinach leaves. Season and serve.