This is a great variation on soda bread which can be cooked on the griddle or as I prefer as a harvest plait or twist and bake in the oven. It can be baked plain or with a choice of dried fruit. Add a few raisins, cherries, dried cranberries or blueberries approximately 4-6oz in total, then brush the loaf with beaten egg and sprinkle with flaked almonds or pine nuts before baking.
Harvest Time Soda Bread – Simply add Milk
- 500 g Jenny's Soda Bread Mix (/1lb)
- 325 ml Milk (buttermillk, full cream or semi-skimmed milk to mix to soft dough) (approx 325ml to 350ml)
- 110 g Dried Fruit (e.g raisins, cherries, dried cranberries or blueberries) (110-150g/4-6oz)
- 2 dsp Olive Oil
- 1 Egg Lightly beaten
- 50 g Flaked Almonds or Pine Nuts (optional)
- Sieve the flour mix into a bowl.
- Add a selection of dried fruits and if you like a pinch of nutmeg or cinnamon powder.
- Add 2 dsp olive oil and milk to mix to a soft dough (approximately 250ml/½pt milk of your choice).
- Either roll out and shape into either two round loaves or a bread plait made by cutting the dough into three equal amounts.
- Roll into strips then use to make a plait.
- Brush with beaten egg and dust with flaked almonds or pine nuts.
- Bake in oven @ 180°C/350°F/Gas No 4 for approx 30mins ( as ovens vary )
- When baked remove from the oven and wrap in a tea towel and cool slightly.