Devilled Potato Skins with a Peppered Chilli Dip
These crunchy spicy potato skins are great fun for a bonfire party. They’re easy to eat with your fingers and are delicious on their own, dipped in soured cream or served with a peppered chilli dip. The Peppered chilli dip (Serves 4) works very well with devilled potato skins and is excellent with grilled or barbecued food.
- 4 large baking potatoes
- 110 g/4oz medium Cheddar cheese – grated
- 1 tsp chilli-infused sunflower oil
- 1 pkt cooked bacon lardons
- 2 dsp plain yoghurt
- sale and freshly ground black pepper
- ½ yellow pepper
- 150 ml/¼pt low fat mayonnaise
- ½ red chilli – deseeded and very finely sliced
- ½ green chilli – deseeded and very finely sliced
- ½ tsp garlic – finely chopped
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- sprigs of coriander or parsley
- The Potato Skins
- Bake the potatoes until soft and almost cooked, then cut into large wedges. Using a knife, remove the skin and set it aside. Mash the potatoes and mix in the cheese, oil, bacon and yoghurt. Season to taste.
- Transfer the mashed potato mixture back onto each potato skin. Reheat, either on the barbecue or below a hot grill, for 2-3 minutes, until hot, bubbling and golden.
- Dust with paprika and serve.
- The Peppered chilli dip
- Roast the pepper in a hot oven or below a hot grill for 10-15 minutes until slightly blackened. Remove the skin and chop finely.
- Place the mayonnaise in a bowl and add the pepper, chillies and garlic. Mix well and season.
- Serve garnished with coriander or parsley.